[TR] TR3A ammeter

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Oct 29 08:51:41 MST 2008

> My ammeter is not working.  After installing the interior I
> could not bring myself to crawl back under the dash for a few
> more days.  I  tagged all wires as it came out and am
> reasonably certain that all is connected  as it should be.
> Is there a ground I have missed?  The gauge is  grounded to
> the dash, is it not?

No.  The ammeter does not need a ground.  I've also never seen one fail, so
I would suggest you have a mistake somewhere else that is routing current
around the ammeter.  A test here would be to disconnect the ammeter and see
if the headlights (or anything but the horns) still work.  If so, there is a
wiring error.

> BTW my fuel gauge is not working either.  See earlier post
> about  running out of gas.

The fuel gauge (on a TR3) does require a ground.  Have you tried making sure
it's adequately grounded?

Randall