[TR] Coil Polarity

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Oct 28 19:15:37 MST 2008

> I have looked at the wiring diagram for my [ positive ground]
> 1962 Tr4 to determine the correct polarity for the coil
> wiring. It does not show a terminal number , or positive /
> negative marking on the diagram at the coil , only the wiring
> colors . I have not switched the coil connections to know if
> it will run if wired the other way. Please advise !

It will run, most likely just fine, with the coil wired the other way.
There is a small difference in how easily the generated spark can light the
fuel/air mixture, but normally there is plenty of margin so it will run
either way.  You might notice that it's a little harder to start with the
coil polarity backwards, but I could never tell the difference.

And as Andy notes, the original coils were marked "CB" at the positive
terminal, and "SW" at the negative terminal.  If your car retains the
original positive ground, then "CB" gets the wire from the distributor, and
"SW" gets the white wire from the harness.

Replacement coils are usually marked "+" and "-", which for a positive
ground car would be the distributor and harness wire respectively.

If the car has been converted to negative ground, then swap the two
connections to the coil.

Randall