[TR] 1975 TR6

Mark Steph tr6 at pobox.com
Sun Oct 26 11:05:52 MST 2008

Random thoughts from someone that's had a '75 TR6 since 1983...

o don't assume it really has 68K miles.  Mine was rolled back -- and it
is bloody easy to do.

o Whether or not you're a mechanical type, it would be a good idea to
get someone that is mechanical *AND* somewhat knowledgeable of Triumphs
to look it over.  It's just a good idea to have a disinterested,
unemotional opinion.  Trust some of your gut.  If it looks like it has
been seriously taken care of and not just cleaned up -- that is a good sign.

o I don't care what anyone tells you.  It's not an investment.  It's a
toy.  It's a hobby.  Sure it's possible you could turn a profit on these
things, but it's not likely.  I know mine easily has 2x what it is worth
in it -- and it is by no means a show car.  I'd call it "fair".  (If you
account for inflation, well... I'd rather not do that.  I might cry.)

o Just or the record, I've been through everything you listed.  Rear
hubs (check), transmission (check), U joints (check), thrust washers and
resulting damage (check).  As for what caused my thrust washer problem,
I assure you it was the guy that rebuilt the engine before me.  One
thrust washer was secure in place.  The other was brand new and shiny...
at the bottom of the oil pan.

o on the upside: These are bloody simple machines.  When I bought mine,
I was 18 years old and had never even changed my oil.  But through the
years, I have pretty much taken on every aspect of this thing from one
end to the other.  Almost everything can be done with simple tools.  And
parts are surprisingly available through several large mail order houses.

o There are 2 very diverse paths people take with these cars:
originality vs performance.  You should probably figure out which path
you are choosing and make sure the car you are buying matches it.  In
other words, if someone has kept it pristine, it would be a shame to
start hacking on it.  Or if someone has spent $10k on ignition, fuel
systems, etc... It's going to cost you to undo the work they've done.
In my opinion, if you really want high performance, this isn't the car
for you.  If you want horse power, there are plenty of cheaper, higher
performance cars out there... and you are likely to never be able to
compete with them for cost or power.  If you really want a fun 3rd car
to drive on a sunny day, you can't beat it.

--

http://SporkInTheEye.blogspot.com