[TR] slope calculation

dorpaul dorpaul at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 22 15:47:58 MDT 2008

I am mentally struggling with the calculation of essential slope needed for
safely driving a TR3 up and down from a platform of only 16" to the ground?

The platform is level and plenty long enough to accomodate my car for
servicing, etc.  Distance between wheels is 6', ground clearance is 6" (i
think).  I also think the bottom edge of the front bumper is about 20" in
front of the front wheels, and the bottom edge of the rear bumper is about 30
" behind the rear tires. I have 15" tires. (Actually, ground clearance
increases a couple of inches in the rear due to angling-up of rear chassis).
Car will be driven up the ramp from the front, and backed down from the rear.

I think the problem will first be encountered when I drive up the ramp and
find that the edge of the platform rubs against the floorboard at about a
place near the front of the car's door.  However, what's the formula required
to show that if the slope is gentle enough,no contact with the car's rails
will be made.  I also need to keep the ramp short to stay in the driveway
area.

Thanks, Paul 60 TR3