[TR] fitting new rear brake pads TR3

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Oct 15 18:58:44 MDT 2008

> I recently bought new brake pads for my TR3 (TS16641) but when I fit them,
> can't get the drum back on, even when adjusting all of the way in.  If I
> re-fit the old pads, the fit is fine.  Is there some trick to getting
> these on?

Only a few points, and they are kind of obvious :

Make sure the adjuster wedges are actually retracting into the housing when
you unscrew (turn CCW) the adjustment screw.  Sometimes they get stuck.

Make sure the slave cylinder can slide (with some force) on the backing
plate.  You may need to experiment a bit to get it in the right position,
and they sometimes corrode in place.

Also compare the shoes carefully to be sure you have the right ones.  Your
car should have 10" Girling rear brakes, but earlier TR3s came with 10"
Lockheed brakes, and they take different shoes.  It's also not unusual to
find conversions, so your car may not have the same brakes as the books
show.

And of course make sure the shoes are seating into the slots they belong in.

It is possible that the new shoes are too thick, but I've not experienced
that myself.  You might try calling around, to see if someone in your area
can finish them to match your drums (which used to be known as 'arcing' the
shoes and was a standard part of a good brake job).  If not, and you are
absolutely certain they are too thick, some work with a moderately coarse
metal file should solve the problem.

Randall