[TR] GT6 Transmission

jimmuller at rcn.com jimmuller at rcn.com
Wed Oct 15 11:16:21 MDT 2008

Joe "Fluif" Curry wrote:
> Comparing with the MkIV gearbox which uses the full synchro
> 3-rail, it is basically the same box that was used in the
> GT6 but with different gear ratios.  The GT6 has a closer
> ratio selection of gears than the Spit box.

It was my understanding too that they beefed/hardened up the gearing and diff for the GT6's higher torque.  I mention this only because the question smelled like someone hoping to drop a Spitfire gearbox into a GT6.  Others may disagree but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.  The GT6 gearing is unique and part of its charm.  3rd and 4th are close together, redline in 2nd is 65mph, redline in 3rd is 96mph, etc.  Not that I ever quite push mine to redline but the available speed headroom in but 2nd and 3rd are (ahem) useful.

> Also, the input shaft is much larger in diameter and
> longer than the one used in a Spitfire.

As a practical matter, this means that a Spitfire clutch alignment tool won't work with a GT6 clutch!
--
Jim Muller
'80 Spitfire