[TR] TR3 Tick Tick Tick

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Tue Oct 14 18:24:40 MDT 2008

> Listers,
>
> Need some thoughts on this one.
>
> The problem: An annoying loud tick sound when the car is under load( Could it
> be a ping? Is one man's tick another man's ping?) I digress.

Ed,

Dunno if this is it, but it took me three years to finally believe  with confidence that the clatter I was hearing was not an exhaust leak, timing ping, or valve noise.  It's the timing chain, which Triumph tried to quiet with some goop on the timing cover.  Louder on acceleration (if this is what you mean by "load," as opposed to going uphill?).

I should probably goop something on it, but not I've simply tuned it out.

Hmmm...is that a new kind of tune up?  ...ehr, out???

Terry Smith
New Hampshire
> The problem: An annoying loud tick sound when the car is under load( Could it
> be a ping? Is one man's tick another man's ping?) I digress.

Ed,

Dunno if this is it, but it took me three yearsa to finally believe that the clatter I was h earing was not an exhaust leak, timing ping, or valve noise.  It's the timing chain, which Triumph tried to quiet with some goop on the timing cover.