[TR] gas mileage

CarlSereda at aol.com CarlSereda at aol.com
Tue Oct 14 12:37:29 MDT 2008

Brian,
I think I would use a 'whole' tank of gas before making your mileage
calculations and messin' with carbs, timing, etc..
Also how many miles on engine - mileage should get better after break-in
right?
ps; tappets should be noisy on all TR 4-bangers, if not, they're
mal-adjusted! (or you have the alloy valve cover)
Carl

I've noticed that my 4A doesn't do so well
with MPG as I would think it should. Not that I'm REALLY keeping track of
mileage, but a trip in to town (5 to 10 miles, all around 25 to 35 MPH)
shouldn't suck up an eighth of a tank. A quick calc tells me that's less
than 10 MPG. Sure I like to "get on it" but even so...

Let me preface this conversation with - I've completely restored this car,
frame off, total overhaul. There are *NO* leaks of any kind (OK, maybe a
drop of oil on the floor over the course of a week) and everything works
great. I've tried backing off the fuel mixture, but that tends to result in
harder starting and slower response.

Rebuilt carbs, Pertronix ignition, no smell of gas anywhere. I *DO* have
dark sooty exhaust in the tail pipes though! Valves may be a bit tight, but
if not they make a ton of noise...

Any thoughts?<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>New MapQuest Local shows what's
happening at your destination.  Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out
(http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)</HTML>