[TR] battery discharging

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Oct 11 19:37:38 MDT 2008

My strangest "dead battery" story was a German car, my daily driver at the
time.  Usually worked absolutely perfectly, but every once in a while I'd
come out to find the battery dead in the morning.  Might happen twice in the
same week, then not again for months.

Then one day I walked by the parked car, and saw the heated rear window
indicator on!  Turned out that the relay for the rear window heater had
gotten salt spray or something onto the bakelite base, and under just the
right conditions of dew condensing, there was enough leakage from the
always-hot power terminal to the switched coil terminal to activate the
relay!  A new relay solved the problem.

Randall