[TR] TR4 panel lamp rheostat CORRECTION

Brian Jones banc8004 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 8 18:09:54 MDT 2008

Karl,

I imagine that your dash was an aftermarket part. I imagine the wooden
plug is there because the PO that put the dash in couldn't get the
rheostat to fit, just as you struggle.

I would recess the dash from behind, just deep enough to give you the
thread depth you need to mount the facia nut (0.25 inch?). This switch
is not useless. Yes, the lights are dim. However, at night, running
unlit country lanes, I've appreciated the opportunity to switch the
dash to dark.

If authenticity is important, remember that just as what happens in
Vegas, stays in Vegas; what you do under your dash, stays with you.

 From Karl:

The threads on the switch are about 13/32" long, and the total
construction
of the steel and wood dashes is about 7/16" thick, leaving the threads
1/32"
recessed, rather than standing out 1/16" or so to allow the bezel to
thread
on.  The factory parts book shows a flat bezel like I have, but a "top-
hat"
style that goes through the dash a bit would work.  What's going on ??