[TR] Choke cable

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 30 15:42:06 MST 2008

Randall wrote:
> The only thing I can add to Jonmac's ***** treatise on the subject is
> that the PATTL cable I got from Moss Motors some 20 years ago still
> functions quite well and has actually outlasted the car it was installed on.

Then there must be something fundamentally wrong with it! Probably made in Japan under optimum
Kai-Sen conditions, or whatever they call it. Send it back to Moss and demand a refund!

> I plan to move it to the 'project' TR3 in the next few days.

Definitely not a good idea - you might give the car a 'complex.'

> Also, the original RGHI type can sometimes be (temporarily) restored to
> proper operation, by fabricating a replacement for the little brass "half
> moon" key that rides on the shaft, and possibly cutting the notches on the
> shaft a bit deeper.

Why try to improve on lousy engineering? Notches? Good heavens, you people sound to me as though you
actually expect your choke cable to work, longterm!!! That was never the Standard-Triumph plan. Use
the clothes peg version! Be different, unconventional - and stand out from the crowd.

Jonmac