[TR] Choke cable

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 30 08:43:41 MST 2008

Pete Bieling wrote:
> My question concerns the choke cable. After you pull the cable out
> is it supposed to slowly return to the off position or stay where you
> put it.

Pete,
The answer to your question is like so many others associated with Triumphs - and this is, "it
depends."
My own view is that as far back as the TR3 the choke cable was of the RGHI (requires gentle human
intervention) type. However, history has proved conclusively that RGHI chokes soon reverted to
SBASAYPIO condition (shoot back as soon as you pull it out) - especially if the choke pull-off
springs were too strong.
Of course, in the decades that have passed since your car's build, it may have been modified by a PO
to the more 'respected' specification of PATTL (pull and twist to lock) PATTL chokes were endemic to
the British motor industry in the 60's and 70's and for the most part soon became FJOW (failure just
outside warranty) by which time there was little to choose between RGHI and SBASAYPIO types.
If you are a purist and strive for *originality* an RGHI pattern is the one to go for but I would
recommend you upgrade it by adding a CPOAPOS conversion (clothes peg on a piece of string) to give
it the genuine 'period' look. Sure, it'll upset the Concours Judges, but in my experience on the UK
side of the pond, they're mostly some damned obsessive that they judge all cars without paying any
heed at all to the original manufacturer's TIACAWCDI (this is as cheap as we can do it) build
policy.
So, the bottom line? I'd go for an RGHI choke and a CPOAPOS conversion - and leave it at that :)

Jonmac

PS The Triumph Trans-AmeriCa Stag will next year complete its marathon journey with a CPOAPOS choke
set up. So much more in keeping with the car than furry dice swinging from the rear view mirror and
nodding dogs in the back window.