[TR] OIl pressure

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Fri Nov 28 10:09:49 MST 2008

Well I hope I am not appearing to the list as the relative that just won't
go home after Thanksgiving dinner, but I have another question.

I left with a couple of friends this morning to go for a drive in our  TRs.
After about 20 -30 minutes we had to pull over (older crowd) and I  noticed
that my oil pressure dropped to 20 psi at 700 rpm idle.  That seems  odd as it
is usually at 60 psi (newly rebuilt), but upon acceleration the needle  jumped
up into the normal zone of 70 - 80 psi at 2500 - 3000 rpm with no  wavering;
just steady as always.  Throw in the clutch and back to idle and  back to 20
psi.  That is a very wide swing.
I left the group and went home to check this out.  I opened the  sending pipe
at the bulkhead and put in an after market gauge and got the same  result. I
hooked up my electronic tach so I could get some readings for  this post and
at 600 -700/20 psi.  1000/45 psi. 2000 70 -80 psi.   Hmmm. . .  I shut off the
car to scratch my head for a moment, and when I  restarted it, 20 psi.  I
goosed the throttle and the needle jumped up as  expected.  Back to idle but this
time 60 psi.  I shut off the car,  restarted, 60 psi at idle.
Any ideas?  There are no untoward noises and the car runs and idles  very
well.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO