[TR] 1)Engine Block Interior, Liner Paint &2)Venting

Rick Patton patton at suscom-maine.net
Fri Nov 21 21:22:31 MST 2008

My stock oil filler cap did not have a vent hole. 1975 TR6.

If you look at the underside of that shiny chrome cap (if its like the
one that came with my  aluminum valve cover), you'll notice that the pin
hole in the top side is above the workings that actually seal the cap.
That little hole is merely a decoration. There is no path from the
inside of the cap to that hole. What little breathing is done under that
shiny cover just escapes all around. There is no baffling so any oil
thrown against the cap will bleed to the outside. My chrome cap always
created a wet spot or even a small puddle around the cap on top of the
valve cover. The crankcase venting works on my car so I soldered up the
actual vent hole on the bottom of the cap. After all how much could vent
thru that tiny hole as compared to the 1/2" vent hose a few inches away
on the side of  the valve cover?

Rick Patton
75TR6sci
http://pattonmachine.com/