[TR] cars for kids

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Fri Nov 21 06:26:52 MST 2008

In a message dated 11/21/2008 5:02:31 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
tony at tonydrews.com writes:

I'm not
implying that you Subie fans are wrong, just that there is "the other
side of the story".

Tony,
The Consumers Union has always rated Subaru's tops for reliability, and
lowest for frequency of repair. I have a friend who had a wheel bearing problem
on his older Subaru. I asked the dealership about it and was told the early
ones  used an automotive rear axle which was changed to the truck rear axle; or
at  least that area in the rear axle which carried the wheel bearings was
changed.

I think its normal for some people to have bad experience with  any car, but
its always dangerous to generalize from exceptions. CU takes in a  lot of data
to make their assessment to avoid that problem.

I also have a 98 Benz E320. I love the car, but ever time it goes in for
maintenance, its $3000. CU predicted that and I didn't believe them. They have
proven to be correct about that money pit! I think they are equally correct
about the Subaru also.
All bets are off for the racing Subarus though-young men and the really hot
rally cars are going to be expensive to maintain! I can imagine trouble at
25000  miles if every mile id done 1/4 mile at a time under full acceleration.

Mike Moore
59 TR3A