[TR] cars for kids

Nolan opposumking at verizon.net
Fri Nov 21 05:21:57 MST 2008

> How soon we all forget that we were teenagers once.  "FT"

I'm amazed I survive my teenaged driving.  My first accident was within just
a few hours of getting my licence.  In fact, I don't think I actually made
it a whole hour.

Dukes of Hazard was my driving inspiration.  Didn't help having friends that
thought the same way.  We did clever things like hood surfing, chinese
firedrills over the top of the car going down the highway, leaping from car
to car, seeing how high we could get a car in the air, playing bumper tag,
etc.

Remembering my teenage driving habits go a long way to inspiring me to make
sure my son has a good safe car when he starts.  As well he's going to be
getting lots of training on driving, including driving like a nut.  So he'll
be gokart racing, autocrossing and such at as young an age as can be
handled.  I really want him to know how to handle a car well before he gets
a drivers licence.  I'd like him to have long gotten the sliding sideways
curiousity question answered and well under control before he hits the road.
As well to understand when to go sliding sideways, and how to slide sideways
with style, skill and flair.  Hopefully, he'll stick with autocrossing and
such just to practice, and have fun.

And knowing that as a kid he's still going to behave like an idiot, I want
him in something solid for that encounter with a tree.  So in todays car
market, I'd be most inclined to be looking at something like a Volvo 740 or
such.