[TR] What size thrust washers do I need?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 18 16:28:09 MST 2008

> If you still follow me,
> any comments as
> to  which way to go?

FWIW (very little), I don't believe that moving the crank fore/aft by .010"
is going to make any difference to anything.  I've always heard it's OK to
mix/match thrust washer sizes to get the right clearance.

Also FWIW, I feel a better solution is to have the cap machined to take a
second thrust insert, which halves the pressure (per unit area), rather than
Scott's solution of using a harder bearing material.  I believe machining
the cap is recommended by people like Kas Kastner and Greg Solow.  It's also
what Triumph used on earlier engines (like the TR2-4A) which never seem to
have thrust washer problems.

But it's certainly more expensive than just stuffing in some bronze washers.

Just my $.01 worth
Randall