[TR] What size thrust washers do I need?

PeterSchop at aol.com PeterSchop at aol.com
Tue Nov 18 12:15:22 MST 2008

I measured my crankshaft end float the other day and found it to  be just
under .012".  I would like to get the end float closer to  .005" so I dropped the
pan, took off the rear main bearing cap and removed the  thrust washers. What
I found was one marked "STD" and measured at  .090" which showed a lot of
wear and the other marked "+030" that measured  .122" and showed very little
wear. I believe that STD should be .092" ?

 I have read online that the front washer should not change size  because it
gets very little wear and you don't want to move the crankshaft  out of place.
I have also been told that both the washers should be the same  size so to
center the crankshaft which also makes sense. TRF sells sets of  thrust washers
at STD, +.005", +.015" and +.030" which I believe both washers in  set are the
same size.

Now I would like to reduce my end play from just under .012" to just  over
.005" which means I have to add .006" to my thrust washers. In order to do  that
I need a total of .218" with both thrust washers measured together. I like
the idea of using Scott Helms's solid bronze thrust washer. I could have a
.096"  made and my use my .122"  or if the front should not change I could  use a
STD .092" and make a .0126" or if the crankshaft should be centered, have  two
.109" made, all which would equal .218"

Oh, one more thing, TRF's list at $6.95 a set and Scott's are $20 each and
are probably worth every penny of it. If you still follow me, any comments as
to  which way to go?

TIA

Peter Schoppelry
TR6  '69