[TR] Lucas Driving Lights

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Fri Nov 14 20:23:27 MST 2008

Maybe I was not specific enough.  The lights are bright, they just are  not
focused.  Driving lights and fog lights serve two different  functions.  One is
a very focused light and the other is a diffused  light.  My complaint about
these lights is that they are not focused.   Having been around in the 60s
when it seems like these things were important to  the manufacturer a good
driving light would shoot out a beam of light far ahead  of the vehicle and at the
end of the beam of light it was still largely  contained on the roadway.  These
knockoff lights produce a lot of light  but around the reach of the regular
high beams it becomes ambient  light that lights the trees, etc.  Driving
lights are supposed to be  focused to provide reach on the roadway beyond the
regular headlights.   These lights just kind of brighten up the reach of the
regular headlights.   I could have done that with 10 gauge wire and relays to the
high and low beams  on the regular headlights.
Driving lights, as they are sold today on modern cars mostly have fluted
lenses and you will notice that when you turn them on, they provide an "assist"
to the regular headlights as well as better light the shoulders of the  road.
>From my experience, this is not what they are supposed to do as  "driving
lights".

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L