[TR] tired of tire stores

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Nov 5 11:36:16 MST 2008

> John's view is that if you have major run-out,
> the wheel will be impossible to balance.

Funny thing is, I had a wheel (5.5" TR6 rim on my TR3A) with so much lateral
runout that people would literally yell at me on the road that it was coming
off (!), but it was balanced just fine.  No shimmy or shake, even at 100
mph.  Of course the car did vibrate some (driveshaft was out of balance),
but changing that wheel made no noticeable difference.

A friend of mine who sold and installed tires for many years once told me
that the problem was the computer balancers.  He demonstrated that "bubble"
balancing (using a balancer that located by the lug holes) actually solved
the shimmy on my motorhome; using about 3 ounces less weight than the
"computer" called for.

Randall