[TR] GT6 engine still seized

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat May 31 16:02:16 MDT 2008

> I tried putting the car in 1st gear and all I can get is the
> car to slid not able to get it to move forward at all.

Actually, 4th gear works better for this; better mechanical advantage.

>  When
> I garaged the car all was well.  Not sure why everything is
> seized and not sure where to go from here.  I tried all the
> previous suggestions so now I need something new.

Unfortunately, Jerry, I think it's time to pull the head off and get the bad
news.

Not that it's any consolation, but I've seen it before.  Many years ago, a
friend went off to the Army and left his MGA with a freshly rebuilt motor
parked at my place.  When I tried to move it a couple months later, the
engine was locked solid.  Ultimately he had to break one of the brand-new
pistons to get it out of the bore.

The problem is that there are always cylinders with the valves open,
exposing them to outside air.  With changes in barometric pressure,
temperature and humidity, dew forms inside the cylinder; which has bare,
dissimilar metals in close contact.  If the oil film gets washed away, the
result is corrosion.  And what seems most ironic, it's "fresh" engines that
seem mostly prone to this problem.  Old, tired engines have a coating of
varnish on everything ...

Randall