[TR] TR4A Hub Bearing Kit Install - Advice?

Brian Thomas thomasb at queensu.ca
Fri May 30 06:46:43 MDT 2008

Hi,

Last weekend the inner bearing on my TR4A (with IRS) became
toast.  Thankfully this was at the end of a 250+ mile trip.

Yesterday, I installed a replacement bearing kit including inner and
outer bearings, seals and collapsible distance piece.  While it's all
back together,  the hub seems hesitant to turn as easily as the other
side.  It drives fine.  I torqued the nut that holds on the hub to
100 lbs as per specs.

Note that this hesitancy to turn was present even before the brake
drum went on (so it's not brake related).   By hesitant to turn, I
mean I can't grab the hub and turn it by hand.  With the wheel
installed, it turns.

Do I have a problem or is this the way it is with a new bearing install?

Advice gratefully appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian

Brian S. Thomas e-mail: ThomasB at QueensU.Ca
Holliday Point          work:   613-533-2228
R R 1                   fax:    613-385-1948
Wolfe Island, Ontario   home:   613-385-1947
K0H 2Y0         toys:   54 TR2, 56 TR3, 67 TR4A, 80 TR8, 52 Ferguson TEA20