[TR] Was Length of Stator--now lubrication recommendations

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Wed May 28 17:22:13 MDT 2008

In terms of lubrication for the various components of my TR3A, I have been following the advice from the List as follows.  Maybe it's a good time to send it out for any new people  I've been  daily driving my ground up TR3A restoration for two years following this and can't be happier, except with the wire wheel decision.

OD tranny oil:  Valvoline 20-50 racing oil.  "Ken Gilanders at British Frame and Engine ran it in his own TR2, the "Red Rocket" for 5 years, and then tore the tranny down just to see the results.  He said it looked brand new inside."

Engine oil:  Break-in periods are a bit debatable, but many pefer non-synthetic for 500 miles, and this can be either non-detergent or detergent.  I ran non-detergent 30 weight.  After break in, Valvoline full synthetic is good.  Redline is good too, just more difficult to get (in New Hampshire).

Differential:  Valvoline full synthetic gear oil, "which is rated something like 75w90.

Steering Box:  Valvoline full synthetic gear oil, as above.

Dashpots:  Straight 20 weight.  "Experiment if you want:  too thin makes the engine seem sluggish on acceleration, while too thick makes it resond so quick that i's hart to control smoothly.  ...Your engine may act differently"

Trunnions:  for the TR3A "only grease.  Later cars have completely different trunnions designed to hold oil.

Cables:  "Dry Film" MoS2 lubricant.

Wire Wheel Splines:  Permatex copper anti-seize lubricant (#133A or #09128).

On the wire wheels, I'm not particularly happy.  I did have a wire wheel that I had to beat off with a BFH this spring.  I'm wondering if grease would be better?

Your experience may vary.

Terry Smith, TR3A
New Hampshire

From: "Randall" <tr3driver at ca.rr.com>