[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 259

emanteno at comcast.net emanteno at comcast.net
Wed May 28 12:27:33 MDT 2008

From: David Ljung Madison <team.net at daveola.com>

> When I extended the driveshaft to the correct length to have enough
> play between the output flange and the rear seal, I was fortunate on
> my car that this was the full extension of the driveshaft. So
> once I put the locking collar on, the driveshaft had no slip in it
> (presuming the locking collar holds :).

Here is what I think seems to be happening. The locking collar is supposed to hold the driveshaft in the fully open position. You grab the 2 ends of the driveshaft, pull them with reasonable force to what appears to be full extension, and then you put on the locking collar. However, in my case, after discussing this with Bob Danielson, I found that I was able to pull the driveshaft out further than what I thought was fully extended. In fact with the locking collar and dust cap in place, I was able to pull the 2 pieces of the driveshaft apart. If the forces of driving extend the driveshaft past "fully extended" in the car, the rear seal clearance is going to fall below the minimum and someone is going to lose a rear seal and ultimately a Toyota 5 speed.
YMMV.
THANKS, Bob.
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U