[TR] Toyota 5-speed seal failure?

Joe Merone jmerone at rocketmail.com
Wed May 28 07:12:27 MDT 2008

I know that new engineered ideas evolve, things are discovered, improvements are made, etc., but this is one reason (of a few) that I now regret installing a Toyota 5-speed in my TR6 last year.  Yes, regret.  If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the OD instead.

If you are considering the conversion you might want to re-think it.

Joe Merone
CF18928

As Bob Danielson has already answered, it is likely that the tranny flange moved too far forward and ate the rear seal. The locking collar prevents the driveshaft from collapsing, but it does NOT prevent the driveshaft from extending further than it should, which would cause the flange to be below the minimum distance from the seal. Bob told me about this, as I am in the process of doing this. After I read his report and email, I found that I could pull the end of the driveshaft out of the splines. After seeing this, it is off to the driveshaft shop for me to have one made without sliding splines. You only want 1 slip joint in the assembly, and you have 2.
THANKS, Bob.
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL