[TR] TR 4 Brakes

Brian Jones banc8004 at comcast.net
Tue May 27 19:37:51 MDT 2008

I had previously considered - emailing/thinking aloud really - about
adding a servo to my TR4. Randall had advised that this was
unnecessary if the brakes are 'up to snuff' (my term).

Well, due to family engagements one way or another I was able to find
some garage time this holiday weekend. A full tune up, polarity
reversal, and the addition of a tasteful third brake light (very happy
with that, I must post images for you) and a rear brake overhaul
filled my weekend. I had previously rebuilt my calipers with new
seals, new stainless pistons, new pads, and stainless steel flexible
hose. This weekend I went at the rears. For removing the brake drums,
I had read of issues getting the screws out, let alone getting the
drums off. I am happy to report that I had none of the issues I had
been girding myself for.

Result: Wheels off. Screws in good condition; all removed at my first
attempt. My brakes were then adjusted to their withdrawn limit, and
the drum on each side just lifted off. Both drums were smooth, non-
scored, unpitted smooth, clean steel, no lip, and only with tons of
brake dust in each drum, yet plenty of pad left on the shoes. I was
pleased. Much scrubbing of the rusted outer, visible side of the brake
drums ensued, with several coats of black semigloss brake enamel to
follow, and then they went back together. After a full bleed (pretty
much a fluid replacement exercise) of all four wheels starting with
the farthest from the M/C, I followed with the VTR handbrake
adjustment method:

1. 3 clicks on the handbrake to position both shoes
2. Adjust wheels to snug (rubbing sound OK as  long as wheel turns
'freely'.

Failing to half-apply the handbrake leaves you adjusting just the one
shoe (this I had done previously). Bringing both to bear for the
adjustment makes a world of difference.

I also added the last stainless steel flexible hose from my original
brake overhaul kit to replace the rear rubber flexible hose, and the
combination of front and rear refurbishments, and bleeding, provides
me with a really firm brake pedal, a short acting brake lever, and
both feel REALLY positive - more than I had imagined was possible,
actually.

I can really stop pretty sharply now, rather than have to plan for a
second, firmer press, as before.

Right gain, Randall............

Cheers, all,

Brian