[TR] IRS Stub axle bearings

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed May 21 19:09:27 MDT 2008

Listerati :

Working through the diff on my Stag is a new experience to me.  Last night I
pulled apart one of the stub axles; which leads to my question :

Near as I can tell, there is nothing that locates the ball bearing on the
stub axle, except friction.  Is that right ?

The axle cannot move very far in or out, since in one direction it's stopped
by the unmachined portion of the stub axle; and in the other direction it
comes up against the flange.  But it appears that there is nearly .25"
between those two points.

The manual only mumbles something about pushing the bearing on until it's
"near" the end of the taper and then check for interference between the
slinger and something.  Seems awfully vague, when everything else has to be
shimmed within .001" ...

Randall