[TR] A question regariding the Hardware Catalogue Used by Standard Triumph Vehicles.

John T Nichols jtnichols at comcast.net
Sat May 17 10:29:46 MDT 2008

   http://www.rctek.com/fixings/info_fixings_thread_information.html
   A  decent description with pictures of various bolts and screws from a
   UK model car perspective.

   Randall wrote:

I don't have the catalogue, but in general a bolt is meant to
clamp two pieces together, while a setscrew is meant to hold
a piece fast to a shaft.

Another case of two countries separated by a common language.  That's an
American setscrew, not a British one.

British setscrews are sometimes pointed, but it's for easy insertion into
the hole (typically when sheetmetal and/or captive nuts have to be lined up)
rather than locating onto a shaft.

What Americans call a setscrew is known as a "grub" screw to the Brits.

Reminds me of the time I asked a friend in Europe to investigate fiberglass
fenders for a TR3.  Several months later, he finally wrote back to tell me
that no one carried them for cars, only boats !

Randall
http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs at autox.team.net