[TR] Knock

hdrider570 at peoplepc.com hdrider570 at peoplepc.com
Sat May 17 09:03:18 MDT 2008

It could also be the timing chain.  I have had several that make a noise similar to a pin/rod knock.  Aways quiet when first
starting but once the oil warms up it can be  quite load at slow idle.  Basicly when the engine runs slowely the cam  "Judders" as
the lobes crest on the lifters.  Usually the noise will go away about 1,000 rpm's.

Many cars came with a blob of  "Bondo" on the timing chain cover from the factory to help deaden the sound.

I have had problems with this with some of the replacement chains from the big three.  I had one start making noise in 1,000 miles.

So my sugestion is pull the timing cover before pulling the head and see how much slack there is.  A good chain will have almost
none when installed on new gears.

British Parts N/W was suppling "German" gears last time a bought a set and they were of very good quality. NFI by the way.