[TR] Smog help non TR.

tom white tswhitez123 at hotmail.com
Fri May 16 21:13:28 MDT 2008

Hi List,

I have a smog test problem I could really use some suggestions on.  I have a
1987 Ford E350 Van with a 460 CI engine.  I rebuilt the engine myself 20 years
ago and it has always passed smog tests.  Two years ago a mechanic replaced
the carburetor.  Shortly thereafter it passed smog again with some minor carb
adjustments.

I started to do some maintenance on this van in Dec. two weeks before it;s
bi-annual smog test.   During the next two months I replaced the cap, rotor,
wires, plugs, EGR valves, valve cover gaskets, radiator, water pump, changed
the oil and filter, lubed it, and cured exhaust leaks. Twice in that period it
has failed smog testing.

The last test it failed reported hydrocarbons of 2000 at idle compared to a
max allowable of 250.  It passed the hydrocarbon test at 2556 Rpms. The C02
was within tolerance at idle and 2556 Rpms.

Can anyone give me a clue to why this engine has such high hydrocarbons at
idle?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Tom