[TR] TR3 knock.....

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri May 16 14:11:48 MDT 2008

>   Would a bad lifter make a knocking sound??

Won't say it's impossible, but it's not something I've ever seen or heard
of.  And I can't quite see how the lifter could fail and not screw up the
valve lash in obvious fashion.

But it's easy enough to inspect them, once the head is off.

FWIW, I drove an TRactor motor for a long time that sometimes made knocking
noises at idle.  Kinda thought it was piston slap, but never tore it down to
find out for certain.  When that "freshly rebuilt" TR3 engine fell into my
lap, I just swapped it and put the old one into the TR3 I bought just for
it's overdrive (and resold without the OD).

Never heard from the buyer again, so no idea what he found either.

Randall