[TR] od tr3 tranny

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu May 15 17:48:39 MDT 2008

> do
> i open the nut on
> the bottom of the od unit and drain the oil from there too?

YES.  Also clean the filter and the magnets.

If you have the later drain plug with the 6 slots, it's better to build a
wrench that engages at least two slots.  I've previously used two bolts in a
drilled length of heavy flat steel for the wrench, but I believe someone
sells a proper socket that will engage all 6 slots at once.  (I plan to make
my own socket, next time the issue comes up.)  Using a drift & hammer on the
(NLA) plug can distort it and lead to frustrating leaks.

If you have the earlier OD with the hex head on the big brass plug, my
suggestion is to buy a six-point socket to fit it and then grind away the
taper at the mouth of the socket so it engages as much of the flats as
possible.  There will also be an additional bolt, washer and spacer that
holds the filter screen in,  Don't lose them !

FWIW, I've started replacing all of those smaller tapered pipe plugs (the
ones with the easily-rounded square heads) with "hex socket" pipe plugs from
MMC.  They are also available in magnetic versions for drain plugs.  Much
less likely to round off, and easier to turn in tight places (like on the
Stag).

The tapered plugs are also a real good place for some Teflon pipe paste
(Home Depot, etc.) IMO.  Helps ensure they will come out easily next time,
and no worries about Teflon strings clogging critical passages in the OD (as
can happen with Teflon tape).

Randall