[TR] [Spits] Frame swap on Spitfire

Joe Curry spitlist at cox.net
Mon May 12 16:54:53 MDT 2008

A little known fact is that from the first Mk1 Frame through the last 1500
and even including all of the GT6 frames they were all serial numbered
consecutively with the FC prefix.

That in itself tells you a lot about the interchangeability. But it does not
tell the whole story.  The later frames have rear extensions that were added
to comply with safety requirements.  In addition some other slight
differences (like cutouts in the right frame rail in the engine compartment
for exhaust clearance and several modifications to accommodate engine and
radiator mounts as well as rotoflex accommodations) were made throughout the
years.  But in general the frames should be interchangeable, especially from
one Spitfire to another.

The one you are using is probably from an early (Mk1 through Mk3) Spit based
on your description of the rear spring.

If it were me, I'd use the 6 leaf fixed spring because I so vehemently hate
that swing-spring KLUGE that Triumph used in the square tail models.  But
that's just me.

Cheers,
Joe