[TR] [Spits] Frame swap on Spitfire

Bill Davies bill at rarebits4classics.co.uk
Mon May 12 16:59:15 MDT 2008

> [mailto:spitfires-bounces+bill=rarebits4classics.co.uk at autox.team.net]
> On Behalf Of Robert Rutherford
>
> Hi all, I have perforation rust in the rear frame rails of my 78
> Spitfire. Am stripping an older frame (unknown year but has 6 leaf
> rear spring) for bead blasting and POR-15 painting.
> Can anyone confirm my belief that all Spitfire frames are
> interchangeable?

Not strictly true. While the basic frame is the same, the front bar and
bonnet pivot points were substantially different on the roundtail cars, ie
all those cars with the fixed rear spring. The frames can be converted, but
why bother when later frames are readily available? There were also detail
changes to the frame where the wider exhaust twin downpipe of the 1500
passes.
Additionally, late US cars had frame extensions for additional crash
protection under the boot (trunk) floor. These were never fitted to home
market cars, they are not a structural necessity - it's your call whether
their absence bothers you,
Cheers,
Bill.