[TR] Brake Light Switch

Bill Davies bill at rarebits4classics.co.uk
Mon May 12 16:02:26 MDT 2008

> [mailto:triumphs-bounces+bill=rarebits4classics.co.uk at autox.team.net] On
> Behalf Of Bob Danielson
>
> I just noticed that my brake lights don't turn off......unless I pull the
> pedal back that last 1/8" with my foot. When I stick my head in the foot
> well, press & release the pedal, I can feel that it wants to come back
> that
> last smidge which is what turns the lights off. The spring is good.

Is this the internal spring in the switch, or the main pedal return spring?
The latter often breaks and is never replaced, leaving the internal master
cylinder spring to do all the work. The master cylinder spring won't return
the pedal to it's proper rest position, and that spring itself will become
fatigued in tome if the pedal spring isn't there to do it's share of the
work. The pedal resting on the brake light switch is often the first symptom
to be noticed, no such advanced warning with the clutch spring!
Cheers,
Bill.