[TR] Ruining rheostats

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu May 8 10:54:13 MDT 2008

> It lasted
> several minutes before the fuse blew.

That would indicate either a slight overload (possibly a wiring mistake to
another load) or (more likely) an intermittent short.  Shorts in particular
can be lots of fun to find; I've had this problem several times (on various
non-TR6 cars) and it usually turned out to be a wire that was pinched in the
bodywork somehow.  On the Stag, it was the (unused) wire to the gear
indicator pinched under the center console.  On my Valiant, it was the wire
to the key illumination pinched in a steering column shroud.  If memory
serves, there is a center console light on the later TR6 that could be the
problem.

Careful inspection is where I would start, but if that doesn't work : Remove
all the bulbs on the circuit and temporarily jumper the fuse with an old
headlight bulb or similar.  The bulb will pass some current, but not enough
to damage the wiring.  Then use a magnetic compass to track down where the
current goes.  Or some places sell a tool that does the same thing.  Likely
much better, but I've never tried one.

Yet another approach is to find a self-resetting circuit breaker (many more
modern cars have these in the power window circuits, should be readily
available at your FLAPS) and jumper the fuse with that.  Then feel for the
hot wire.

Randall