[TR] Suspension bushings redux

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu May 8 08:49:00 MDT 2008

> 1. Have those who opted for nylon found the feedback too
> harsh for regular road use?

I was quite happy with the all-Nylatron (not quite the same as nylon) setup
on my TR3A; even on several long trips.  However, I believe the perceived
harshness depends a lot more on tires than on bushings, so YMMV.  The
Potenzas I wound up with seem to ride pretty good.

> 4. For those who fitted the bushings themselves, is the
> reaming achievable using hand tools, or is a lathe essential?

I used an adjustable hand reamer.  It's the correct tool, IMO, don't see any
way to do it in a lathe.  The bushings must be installed in the A-arms
before being reamed, since they deform to match the holes.

> I don't race, though I'd probably describe my street driving
> as 'spirited'
> (a brake booster is also on my list).

Others will likely disagree; but I would suggest against the brake booster
unless you have some sort of physical limitation.  For spirited driving, you
want brakes that are fast to grab, easy to modulate, and work the same every
time.  A booster interferes with all of those goals and only offers a light
pedal, which is no advantage IMO.

> Also, who do the list see as the bushing supplier of choice?

I got mine from BFE, mostly because I can run over there and pick them up.
But Ken works closely with a lot of racers, so he knows what works and won't
sell what doesn't work.  I've been very happy with everything I've gotten
from him. (NFI)

Randall