[TR] Water Injection Info --GM had in 62!

Doug Mathews mathews at uga.edu
Tue May 6 18:17:30 MDT 2008

I thought this topic jogged  a spot in my memory..GM had water
injection in 1962.  Below is a description I found on the web.

All '62 Cutlasses offered a 185-bhp "Power-Pack" V-8, but greater
interest surrounded another new derivation. This was the turbocharged
Jetfire hardtop coupe, which shared honors with Chevy's 1962 Corvair
Monza Spyder as America's first high-volume turbocar. With blower,
the Jetfire V-8 churned out a healthy 215 bhp -- the long-hallowed "1
hp per cu. in." ideal -- but carbon buildup with certain grades of
fuel necessitated an unusual water-injection system (actually, a
water/alcohol mix).

While the Jetfire was remarkably fast (0-60 mph in about 8.5 seconds,
top speed around 107 mph), the water-injection proved unreliable. As
a result, Olds abandoned turbos for 1964 in favor of a conventional
330-cid V-8 of 230-290 bhp; at the same time, Buick's new 155-bhp
225-cid V-6 became base power for the F-85 line.

My 65 Corvair Corsair Turbo had 180HP for 164cu and would squeal the
tires up through 3rd. Good car except no one could work on it.  I
took it in for a problem under warranty and when I picked it up, they
said the vacuum advance had to be replaced. I said it had none,
rather a pressure retard. They said they were sure they had replaced
it correctly and after a spin around the block, I went back in and
asked them to check to part they used versus the  part the manual
called for. I  also said I doubted they had a pressure retard in
stock.  I was right on both counts.

Doug