[TR] [6pack] Carbon on top of pistons - engine experts please help!

Peter Ryner pryner at verizon.net
Tue May 6 13:26:31 MDT 2008

I used to be a jet engine mechanic in the AF.  We had water injection
systems on both the KC-135 tanker and B-52 bomber.  Both engines had spray
bars in the inlet to provide the water.  It worked by making the air more
dense, giving better performance.  The trick is that it has to be sprayed in
small dropletts, not poured in.  Also had to use distilled water to prevent
build up of deposits which eventually reduce flow.  Worked very well in most
cases, especially on those very hot days on Guam with a full load.
Pete