[TR] new key or switch

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue May 6 12:02:51 MDT 2008

>   Should I replace the entire switch?  Can a good locksmith
> make one?  Suggestions/advice from the list please?

While I'll certainly never put Pete or George out of business; I have had
good luck doing this myself.  Basically remove the switch from the car, then
the lock barrel from the switch (which likely requires tapping a pin out and
possibly picking the lock).  Then insert a new key blank (eBay, TRF, etc.)
and note where the first tumbler sits on the key.  File that spot on the key
(small 3-corner file) until the tumbler just comes level with the barrel;
then do the next tumbler, etc.  Smooth out the ramps between the filed
spots, remove any burrs, and you're done.

Now make a copy and save it for next time !

Randall