[TR] TR3A Gauge Lights

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue May 6 06:09:27 MDT 2008

> What I cannot figure out is the
> wiring for the Speedo and Tach lights, the two warning lights
> and the two panel lights. On the wiring diagram, these are
> all basically run in a series with the red/white wire.

Scott, I'm a little confused here.  The warning lights should be wired
totally separate from the panel/gauge lights.

Not sure how your replacement harness is done, but the original
configuration had two separate RW wires with the lamp sockets strung along
them.  One wire had the two sockets for the panel; while the other wire had
four sockets for the tach & speedo.  The two wires joined at the panel
switch/rheostat terminal; and were not wrapped into a harness with any other
wires.  Each one was literally one single wire, with the insulation stripped
off for a short distance where it was soldered/crimped to each bulb holder.

I note the Moss catalog specifically mentions that wiring harnesses do not
include "other leads not bound into the main harness"; perhaps BW had the
same policy ?

The red IGN warning lamp gets a yellow wire from the harness, and a separate
(non-harness) white wire from the ignition switch.

The yellow or green turn warning lamp gets a light green wire from the
harness, and a separate black wire to the ground point on the dash panel.
Note that these are also different bulb holders than the gauge/panel lamps;
with two terminals instead of one.

> Moss shows the sockets for the gauges
> are available as well as the warning lights, but do they come
> with the wiring in series or are they just the sockets,

Pretty sure they are only the sockets.

> and
> if so, then how are you supposed to wire these?

If you wanted to use separate wires, it shouldn't be too hard to solder two
wires to each bulb holder.  But the above method of using a single wire
might be easier.

Randall