[TR] tr4 gearbox problem

FGFO1 at aol.com FGFO1 at aol.com
Mon May 5 08:50:53 MDT 2008

this is a friends problem. Any one have any thoughts?

Hi Guys,
As I expect you know, my brother Dave and I recently almost finished an 18
month long body off restoration of our 64 TR4 (CT28726LO).  After all was
together, we drove to the local muffler shop and when the car was quiet enough to
hear everything, we got sad.  The trans sounded like a washing machine in third
and fourth gear in the brief moment between acceleration and deceleration in
each gear.  We were able to disassemble, repair (we thought), and reassemble
the trans.  We were told that the trans was rebuilt in 1985 just before the car
was dissembled and stored.  On inspecting the trans through the top cover
before we installed it, everything looked OK and the syncros looked, and were,
brand new.  On disassembling the trans, we found that the mainshaft spigot
bearing was seized.  We replaced it (Moss 848-610), and the two countershaft be
arings (848-640), and the input shaft big bearing (525-030), clips and washer. It
looked like all the syncros and washers were new, so we didn't replace them.
The OD worked on our test drive to and from the muffler shop, so we didn't
disassemble it. We also micro'd the mainshaft, the input shaft, and the counter
shaft.  Each was ok and there was no scarring. We reassembled the trans,
installed it, and it made the same rattle/grind noise between the
acceleration/deceleration/acceleration in third gear and in fourth gear.  Any thoughts on what
the problem might be?
ill pass along any thoughts you may share
thanks
Frank Fisher

favorites at AOL Food.