[TR] [6pack] Carbon on top of pistons - engine experts please help!

Steven Newell steven at newellboys.net
Mon May 5 08:23:14 MDT 2008

Greg Gelhar wrote:

>I was re-reading an article printed in a club newsletter from the distant
>past about an old time mechanic who recommended water injection to
>eliminate this problem. His technique was to remove the air cleaner
>assembly and use a pump-up garden sprayer and spray water into the
>carburetor while the engine was operating at 2000 RPM. The premise was the
>steam generated by the water would clear the carbon from the piston tops.
>The amount of water was regulated as to not stall the engine. He reported
>that after this treatment the run-on problems were gone.
>
>Does anyone have any thoughts to the validity of his actions?

Greg, first time I read your description I was thinking "garden hose"
and I was a little alarmed. :) I've heard of the same approach and I
don't think there's much harm that can come from a using a misting spray
bottle to decoke your engine. Moisture can cause your carb pistons to
seize (at least that's what happened when I went splashing through a big
puddle in my TR4) so double check before you put the filters back on.
There are some commercial spray treatments designed to do clean
combustion chambers too; water is surely less environmentally harmful
than the stuff my neighbor's kid runs through his Camero every few
months. That stuff, Sea Foam, you don't want to be downwind when he's
running it through.

NFI, http://www.seafoamsales.com

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA