[TR] installing new SS brake lines

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun May 4 17:13:54 MDT 2008

> The line does go inside the rear axle check strap, doesn't it??

Yes, and it should also have a funny series of bends right there, so that it
crosses under the strap laying right against the little flange on the bottom
of the axle (aka spring perch), so the line can't possibly get pinched
against the strap.

> Secondly, to aid in lubrication of the sealing surface so as
> to prevent galling, I merely dipped the line and fitting in
> brake fluid.  Is this alright?

Won't hurt anything, but likely won't help either (since you're using DOT
4).

> When it comes to tightening a line into a brass fitting (such
> as the 5-way), I think I'll coat it with a touch of
> anti-seize (where the line's flare is to seat against the
> 5-way's seat.. does this make sense?

Bad idea, IMO.  On the threads maybe, but not on the flare.

> Lastly, the list may hate me, but I'm using just Dot 4 b.f.

Well, I suppose there had to be some reason for spending the extra money on
stainless lines ... just hope it doesn't leak and ruin your paint.

Randall