[TR] Spitfire Transmission Conversion

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sun May 4 13:20:25 MDT 2008

On 4 May 2008 at 10:38, Geo & Kathleen Hahn wrote:

>   Is the best route to add the OD to my good tranny or take the guts of my
> good tranny and put them in the OD gearbox housing?
>
>   I assume the output shaft is the item that must be changed.

A few other things must be changed as well.  The driveshaft is
shorter.  The rear engine mount goes on a horizontal plate that fits
tranversely across the frame members; when people pull an OD tranny
out of a car this plate is typically forgotten because they don't
realize it is different.  The speedometer drive is different too, I
believe.  And the shift knob, of course.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+