[TR] Carb Questions

wbeech wbeech at flash.net
Sat May 3 22:48:39 MDT 2008

Good day List,

Preparing rebuild my older pair of SU H6 carbs, AUC768, and am trying to
find the tolerances for the throttle shaft (butterfly shaft).  In other
circles I have heard about bearings and reamers to correct any issues here
but upon initial inspection I do not find any type of bearings in the body
for this shaft.  I measured the play using a dial indicator in the center of
the carb throat and I can lift the shaft .002, but I don't know if this is
good or horrible???

I have the Speed Sport book "Tuning SU Carburetters" that is nice but no
data other than lots of needle charts.  Which brings the second question:  I
live at an elevation of  6,000ft, the needles in these carbs are "SM" which
is the standard needle according to the the Bentley's &   Moss catalog,
Haynes says TESM.  Should I be using a richer needle to compensate for the
elevation?  I am not racing or tuning for high performance.

BTW, all this should leave me with a spare pair of Stromberg 175s should
anyone be in need you can contact me off list.

Thanks to all,

Bill B
'58 TR-3A TS/30766 L
'59 TR-3A TS/64974 LO