[TR] some new car shapes

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sat May 3 16:07:44 MDT 2008

Over the last few days I've been contemplating the shapes of some new
cars.  First, the new (more or less) Ford Mustang.  When I first saw
it some time ago it struck me as curious, seeming big but not quite.
Lately the more I see of it the more I like it.  It looks purposeful
and muscular but not overly big.  It uses shape and suggestion to say
"power" without actually saying it overtly with gizmos, so to speak.
All the details seem coherent too.  At various times in its past the
Mustang has looked artistic, e.g. the original, or silly , e.g. the
fastbacks of the 70's (according to my flawed memory).  At least to
my eyes Ford got this version spot on.

I saw a BMW Z4 coupe a few days ago.  The swoopy lines viewed from
the front looked like they were copied from some 60's Italian race
car; not sure which though, I never could keep them straight.  But
from the rear quarter it screamed Michelotti.  If I'd squinted a bit
it would have looked just like a GT6.  (Note the LBC content.  Bet
you thought there wouldn't be any!)  It didn't seem all that much
bigger than a GT6 either.

You may now return to your discussion of TR6 diff mounts...

Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com