[TR] Steering Column Blanking Plate

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri May 2 15:13:39 MDT 2008

> there is a part
> number for the blanking plate: 601962 but they do not and
> have never had
> them.  Then I called MM and was told the part number for the
> gasket: 603346
> is a solid piece and serves as the blanking plate.
>
> So, who is correct?

They both are.  603346 is a solid sheet of rubber-like material that
actually closes off the hole; while 601962 is a metal plate that holds
603346 in place.  As I recall the plate is not solid but has a hole in it,
making it more of a funny shaped ring.  BTW, the SPC description for 601962
is "Plate, retaining sealing pad", while 603346 is described as "Pad,
sealing, steering column aperture".

> If TRF is right are they any suggestions
> as to where I may get this plate?

I'd suggest looking for it used with any of the various people that part out
sidescreen cars.  Start watching eBay, I'll bet there's one listed within a
few days.

>  If MM is correct then why do I have two
> holes with
> threaded spring-clips on either side of the hole in my
> firewall (maybe a DIY
> from the PO?)

I believe those are original.

> TeriAnn has a very nice firewall grommet diagram for the
> post-60,000 TR3s on
> her site, does such a diagram exist for the pre-60,000 units as well?

Not that I know of.

Randall