[TR] Transmission Conversions

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Fri May 2 09:57:52 MDT 2008

In a message dated 5/2/2008 3:56:54 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
supertr6 at earthlink.net writes:

David/Bob/etc,

I am curious what the big attraction is to going  to the Nissan/Toyota 5
speed conversion?  I have the standard 4 speed  with overdrive and don't
have a problem cruising on the highway at a  reasonable RPM in
4th/overdrive.  My transmission doesn't have a  problem shifting gears
and is very smooth.  It is also drum tight and  doesn't leak.  (Granted,
it was rebuilt by British Sports Car Works  about 10 years ago)  So, why
the conversions?  Did you guys not  want to add overdrive or couldn't
find one?  Is the gearing better in  the new diffs compared to the  old?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe,
I can tell you my perspective, as a friend of Herman's and having  witnessed
the evolution of this conversion kit. I'llytell you at the outset, he  is a
perfectionist.

Herman originally had a cottage business rebuilding overdrives and
transmissions to help support his hobby.
He was dealing with many transmissions which were terrifically worn and he
was simultaneously facing a shortage of parts. When he did get the parts, they
were frequently craptastic. He made bushinsg, he made sleeves. He fixed old
parts where possible.

At the same time, Herman was active in the Triumph Community driving
frequently cross country putting lots of miles every year on his  car. Looking for
reliability, he tried out the first Toyota conversion and  was pleased. He could
see that here was a way for fellow TR owners to have a  reliable easy
shifting gearbox with manual overdrive in 5th gear,  taking  advantage of model
technology.

This conversion has been his main business now for several years as he has
shipped several; hundred out. I still have my OD TR gearbox as do you. I do not
 drive days at a time at 80 mph or I would have the Toyota tranny in it in a
heartbeat.
Also, for someone who has a sick OD, they could replace it with a 5 speed
and save the OD tranny for a future buyer who wanted an "original" car.
For someone who has no OD, this is an especially good fix.
Best, Mike Moore

favorites at AOL Food.