[TR] TR3 fender to bonnet clearance

auprichard at comcast.net auprichard at comcast.net
Mon Mar 31 09:48:19 MST 2008

Frank:
Having just gone through this on my car (almost ready to paint), my suggestion is to try to take the entirety of the car's forward compartment and not just one gap here or malalignment there.

Randall's comments on the curvature of the bonnet and air flap are great, but look at the gestald:
- are the front wings / fenders splayed from an earlier front-end collision?
- is the bonnet straight ?  One I had was warped and acted as an oilcan.  To get the right curvature I used windscreen rubber glue to attach two strong strips to the underside.
-  is the cowl symmetrical ? Have you fitted the windscreen stanchions and frame and does it sit straight ?

The holes on my cowl and bonnet were so ground out I filled them in and started afresh.  Bonnet now opens and closes fine.  Like I said earlier, bodywork is a pain (but rewarding when you eventually get it right).

Andrew

From: FGFO1 at aol.com